This Christmas, celebrate the festive season in the iconic city of Edinburgh. We spoke to Sarah to find out her favourite spots around the city and her top 5 to-do's.
- 1: First stop: coffee (or in my case, hot chocolate). There are so many incredible coffee shops in Edinburgh and I’m slowly working my way through them! One of my favourites is The Milkman (@themilkmancoffee). They have two shops, both located on Cockburn Street, and they serve the most delicious hot chocolate. If you’re a fan of cosy coffee shops (and lets face it, who isn’t?) then this is a must-visit.
- 2: Take a stroll down Circus Lane. Located in Stockbridge, this is one of the most photographed streets in Edinburgh and for good reason! No matter the weather, it’s such a beautiful street. At the end of Circus Lane is St Vincent Bar, which is a cosy nook that’s great for catching up with friends. Round the corner is St Stephen Street, home to some lovely little shops including Golden Hare books (@goldenharebooks), ætla jewellery (@_aetla_) and treen (@shoptreen_).
- 3: If you’re on a tight budget, there are so many great free attractions in Edinburgh. For rainy days, I highly recommend visiting the National Museum of Scotland and the Scottish National Portrait Gallery. For sunny days, take a stroll through the Royal Botanic Gardens or along the Water of Leith to Dean Village.
- 4: Take the number 16 or 22 bus down to The Shore. I’m slightly biased as I live here, but it’s truly my favourite part of Edinburgh. There are so many cafes and restaurants to try including Bundits (@bundits_uk), Mimi’s Bakehouse (@mimisbakehouse) and Rocksalt Cafe (@rocksaltcafe_edinburgh) but my boyfriend and I’s favourite place is Toast; the staff are so friendly, the food is delicious and it’s great for people watching (@toastleith).
- 5: If book shops are your thing, you won’t get bored in Edinburgh! My favourite is Toppings (@toppingsedin); a multi-story bookshop open from 9am-9pm. Choose the book you want to purchase, order a complimentary cup of tea or coffee and settle into a cosy corner to read a few chapters.
Visit Sarah's IG for more travel recommendations here
Christmas in Edinburgh with Sarah Alice Snedden
24 November 2021